Monday, January 19, 2009

The Start of My Quest

My research and study of crochet hooks began with a missing hook. My sister bought this set of Lee Ward hooks for my Mother in the 1960’s.


When I inherited them from Moma there was one hook missing. Most crocheters want a complete set of hooks whether used or not. And like most crocheters, I wanted the set to be complete. This started a quest to find a hook to replace the missing one. I looked in antique stores, thrift shops and finally on eBay.

Shortly after I started the quest, I discovered the hook was never missing I had put it with my other hooks by mistake. By then I was hooked on finding out if hooks could be dated based on their markings and I was off on a research project that continues to this day.

6 comments:

Gina said...

I couldn't find an email for you so I'll try commenting. I have a steel crochet hook on my blog with an "eye" that I'm trying to find some info about and found your blog in the process. Just wanted to add that Lacis has a crochet hook size 16, very fine tip. I tat primarily but was a crocheter for years before I learned tatting. I've come across some strange hooks in recent years. Double ended was a new one to me a few years ago. As I said, the most recent finds are on my blog- if you know anything about the "eye" one, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I have another one. This one has "victoria" printed on the side but is very hard to read. My googling hasn't helped so far.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Victoria said...

Cool, I love those types of quests!

Audrey said...

While searching for some answers on a question of Boye steel hooks with prices stamped on them I came across your blog.

Whould you happen to know where one may find out how much or when made are hooks that have a price of $0.19 and $0.10?

There is no need to post this comment to your blog, but I found no other way of asking you this question.

Hooklady said...

Audrie,
Manufacturers stamped crochet hooks with the price starting afer World War II. They started at 10 cents and go up. I don't know exact dates when the price changed from one to another.

BJ said...

i have the exact same set of crochet hooks i inherited from my grandmother. i'd love to know any info you find out about them as you explore.