Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Boye Vs Bates

A long debate is ongoing between crocheters regarding which is the better hook to use Boye or Bates. The debate continues and fans on both side will not give up their favorite.

The debate is over the shape of the hook, but I think the discussion should center around the length of the shank. Bates hooks have a short shank and Boye hooks have a long shank. Therefore how you hold your hook and the motion of making the stitches are affected by the length of the shank, if you hold your hook by the flat.


Try an experiment the next time you want to throw your Boye or Bates hook out.
  • First, clean and wax your hook.

  • Next, move your grip off the flat and, if you are using a Boye hook and are used to using a Bates one, move your grip up the shank to about where you would hold your Bates hook. If you are using a Bates hook and are used to using a Boye, do the opposite. Move your hand down the shank. This might help you get through your project without throwing you hooks out.


William E. (Bill) Elmore in his books The Elmore Method of Crochet and More Elmore recommends having both short shank and long shank hooks in your crochet hook collection. I agree.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

What would I use for wax to wax my hook? Would rubbing a candle on it work? Thanks.

BTW, I agree. I think how you hold the hook determines if one style hook gives you more trouble than another.

Stephanie
In the Boye Camp

Hooklady said...

Stephanie,
I use Renaisance wax but you could use Bees Wax or wax paper.

Emily

Lisa said...

What is the difference between a Bates Silvalume and a Bates Quicksilver hook? thanks.

Gigi said...

I know the debate is about Boye vs. Bates, however, I use Lion Brand hooks mainly because they lack the large flat area and are longer. I can roll the hook easily and the stitches stay uniform more easily because the neck is longer. Also the longer shank allows me to use the pad of my hand as a counter balance. I have realized that I crochet using large motor movements rather than the fine movements generally used for writing etc. Anyone else like me?

mdancer said...

I have to disagree. To me, it's the shape of the head of the hook. I prefer the Boye hooks. All I manage to do with Bates is either miss the yarn altogether or split it. Give me a regular head anyday.

jd said...

this is quite a nice commentary on hooks, especially the vintage ones. i'm a susan bates fan. some of the older boye hooks are good, too. i also own aero, clover, hero, caron, and wooden hooks from a variety of carvers found online. i especially like my very large jenkins wood hooks which have a very silky finish. one thing i do not like on many of the hooks is any sort of texture on thumb rest. if i have to crochet for long periods, the texture makes it that much easier for my thumb to get sore.
jd in st louis

Anonymous said...

A most original and informative blog. Thanks so much.

mhoffmann07 said...

I hate Boye hooks. In my experience I have found that a longer shank make for more work. A shorter shank like Susan Bates hooks offers makes it easier to complete your work and you dont have all that unnecessary work