Saturday, December 06, 2008

Difference Between Vintage and New Susan Bates Inline Hooks

I have had several people question the differences in vintage inline Susan Bates hooks and the new ones made in Mexico. Soooo...I am going to attempt an explanation .

The difference is more evident in the steel hooks.


The top hook is the made in Mexico hook, the middle is made in Japan and bottom is made in the USA. The USA one has a shorter shank and flatter throat than the other two. The others have more of a scoop for the hook than the classic inline shape of the USA hook.

Aluminum hooks...


are very similar (top is USA) (bottom is made in Mexico). The one made is Mexico has a more pointed head and the throat is not quite as flat. Also the throat on the one made is Mexico is a little shorter than the USA hook and though it doesn't show on the picture there is more space for the yarn in the USA hook.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Boye crochet with a wooden handle which is red in color. I was just wondering if you would know if it was vintage or when did they make these wooden handle hooks.
Thank you, pinklady

Anonymous said...

I found a wooden Susan Bates Afghan hook size 8 on a card stating "whisper smooth" and "micro-ground". It is held in place by a rubber band. Any clue when it was made? It feels warm and smooth, I can not wait to use it. Thank you for any information,LM

Anonymous said...

They need to start making them back in the USA!!!!! The older style from the USA flow SO MUCH BETTER! The new Susan Bates hooks SUCK!

Becky said...

I just wanted to say I agree with you about the joy of using vintage hooks. Early on in my foray into crochet, I purchased a little bag full of hooks of all shapes and sizes, and fell head over heels for crochet. It sparks my creativity using these older tools versus the brand new shiny ones.