Wednesday, December 24, 2008

For the Susan Bates Crochet Hook Collector

So the Susan Bates hook lovers do not feel left out this blog is dedicated to Susan Bates vintage hooks. And if you are lucky, you might run across a vintage Susan Bates store display case to house some of your hooks.


The C. J. Bates Company started out making bone hooks. Sometimes referred to as Ice Cream Cone hooks because of their shape, these bone hooks are not too difficult to find. However, what is almost impossible to find are hooks in pristine condition like the ones in this picture.


Clipson hooks are also collector items. There are two kinds, one with the metal clip and later ones with a plastic clip.


Some other vintage Bates hooks…


  1. Anchor Crochet Hook …steelite crochet hook in a handle.
  2. Quicksilver … the Susan Bates version of the Teflon coated crochet hook.
  3. Early Plastic … pre in-line plastic hook.

And last but not least...early plastic afghan hooks.


As you can see from this sampling, there is enough variety of vintage made in the USA Susan Bates crochet hooks to keep a collector looking for a long time.

5 comments:

cici said...

wow what a collection.. How long have you been collecting.. this is a great idea♥ I can't even remember how old some of my hooks are

cici said...

wow what a collection.. How long have you been collecting.. this is a great idea♥ I can't even remember how old some of my hooks are

Flo said...

Do you know where I can purchase the classic steel Susan Bates hook made in the USA size #5?

leona said...

please someone tell me what the diff is in the size 8 steel susan bates hook made is the us and the
8/1.4mm made in Mexico????other than the head is smaller than the other why is that ?I thought they were the same .
thank u, Leona,from Vero beach,fl.

MyOhMy said...

I sell USA made (vintage) Bates and other hooks on Etsy. I don't have a 5 at this time, but I keep a wishlist for my buyers. The other main shop on Etsy for vintage crochet hooks is DiVintageBlessings. My shop is CalvinsWishingStar . I'm about to open a second shop dedicated to Vintage needlework everything.